Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Heat Wave

As the thermometer creeps in upwards of 110 degrees today in Phoenix, it's hardly ironic that I took some initiative to plan my summer vacation.  The annual trek to my families time share in Carlsbad, California will be here before I know it and judging by the heat wave that has overtaken P-Town this week, the middle of July can not come soon enough.  It amazes me that I can hop a 45 minute flight just one state to the west, and have beautiful weather almost year around.  It has always been my dream to one day live near the water and with every sizzling summer that passes,  I realize that I might want to start chasing that dream sooner rather than later.  When I was younger the weather never seemed to bother me much.  All that mattered was running amuck with neighborhood friends and playing outside without even giving a second thought to the weather or how brutally hot it actually was outside.  As I've gotten older, I've wondered how most people can even stand Arizona during this time of year.  From November to April, it is absolutely beautiful, and there is no place I would rather be.  It's no wonder why snow-birds flock to this region every year.  Couple the 400+ golf courses with Spring Training for Major League Baseball and you will find a popular tourist attraction set amid a gorgeous desert oasis.  May thru October though is an entirely different story.  Take it from somebody who has lived 25+ years of my life in Phoenix.  This heat wave is for the birds, and this bird is ready to fly west.

No comments:

Post a Comment